Week 10 of the college football season is almost here, and the College Football Playoff Rankings are only a couple of hours away from being unveiled. But, Sports & Swag’s College Football Rankings and Stock Report – First Playoff Ranking Edition is here now! The anticipation is high for these rankings, because there is no clear cut number one team. For that matter, there’s not a clear cut one through four team. The Clemson Tigers get the nod for our Rankings. The Tigers win over Notre Dame simply looks the best of all the wins the true candidates for the top four spots can offer. Speaking of true candidates, there are no less than nine teams that could make a reasonable claim on a top four spot. That doesn’t even include undefeated Oklahoma State, or one-loss Florida and Oklahoma. This sets up to be an incredible end to this season. Now, on to the rankings!
1. CLEMSON – The Tigers win over Notre Dame cannot have been any bigger for Clemson’s program as a whole, or for their pursuit of the National Title this season. Dabo Swinney’s team’s strength was supposed to be quarterback DeShaun Watson and the offense. And it is. But, they’re defense, while they’ve had their issues at times, has stood up when they’ve had to. Florida State is up next Saturday in Death Valley. Could be the last time the Tigers are tested in the regular season.
2. LSU – The Bayou Bengals don’t have a marquee win quite as impressive as Clemson does over Notre Dame. However, their entire body of work is on par if not better than any of the other contenders. Their big test comes this weekend when they visit Bama in Tuscaloosa. The Tigers With Brandon Harris showing he can handle things at QB, look
like the best team in the nation. Will we be saying that this time next week is the question.
3. OHIO STATE – The Buckeyes have been for the most part anything but impressive, and now will be without their newly-named starting QB, J.T. Barrett who was suspended for a game after he was arrested Saturday for driving while influenced. We’ve all known for a while that this is a three game season (Michigan State, Michigan, Big Ten Championship ) for the Buckeyes. So, as long as they pass those tests, everything is good in Columbus.
4. TCU – The Horned Frogs haven’t been all that impressive either. But, they do still have their starting QB. Which is something Baylor unfortunately can’t say anymore. That has to factor in the Committee’s thoughts as they evaluate teams. Not only does TCU have their main guy Trevone Boykin, but he just might be the favorite right now to win the Heisman. If the Frogs fall late in the season, bet on it being due to their defense and not Boykin.
The Next 6
5. Michigan State – The Spartans haven’t been very impressive either. But, again they have starting QB Connor Cook available.
6. Baylor – The injury to Seth Russell is very unfortunate and may keep them from proving themselves against top competition, which they have yet to play as of yet.
7. Notre Dame – The Irish have wins over USC and Temple among others and a 2-point loss at Clemson. The Irish belong here if not higher.
8. Alabama – Bama’s biggest wins (at Georgia and at Texas A&M) don’t look quite as impressive anymore.
9. Stanford – There is little doubt the Cardinal are the PAC-12’s best team and they just might be the nation’s best team as well.
10. Iowa – Few believe in the undefeated Hawkeyes. But, all they need to do is keep winning and the doubters will be silent.
The Final 15
12. Oklahoma State
15. Ole Miss
20. Florida State
21. Texas A&M
23. Mississippi State
25. North Carolina
Agree? Disagree? As always, hit me up Facebook, Twitter, Google Plus, Instagram, Tumblr, or Pinterest. Sports & Swag is everywhere. Get at us!